As of 24th August 2023, new legislation states training is required for all professional and industrial users of products with a total monomeric diisocyanate concentration of > 0.1%. This includes polyurethane adhesives used in construction.
The UK REACH (Registration, Evaluation, Authorization, and Restriction of Chemicals) framework added Diisocyanates to the ‘List of restrictions‘. These conditions aim to safeguard both human health and the environment during the handling and use of diisocyanates.
Diisocyanates are commonly used in industries such as construction, automotive, furniture, footwear, electronics, and packaging. They provide essential properties for durability, performance, and protection.
Our supplier EGGER is helping to ensure that our customers are well-prepared to handle diisocyanates safely and in compliance with the UK REACH regulation.
- The legal duty remains on employers to ensure that all employees have successfully completed the required training before using these products.
- Training will need to be adequate, appropriate to the use of the substance (which includes any specific circumstances as to where it is used, i.e., in Great Britain) and in line with the restriction.
- Employers must keep records of the diisocyanates training provided to their employees. Training should be reviewed at least every 5 years and whenever significant changes are made to the type of work carried out or to the work methods used.
- The training requirements are set out in paragraphs 4 and 5 of Annex XVII of the restriction, as amended by 2021/904.
It is essential for employers to evaluate different training providers to ensure the training meets their specific needs, and that the training complies with the required industry standards and regulations. The information below provides an example of one training program related to the handling of diisocyanates.
- The Association of the European Adhesive and Sealant Industry (FEICA) represents the interests of adhesive and sealant manufacturers, suppliers, and associations in Europe. FEICA actively engages with regulatory authorities, stakeholders, and other industry associations to shape policies, standards, and regulations that impact the adhesive and sealant sector.
- FEICA, in coordination with the European Diisocyanate & Polyol Producers Association (ISOPA), the European Aliphatic Isocyanates Producer Association (ALIPA), and several other industries in the polyurethane (PU) industry, have developed an online training programme.
- The PU Training Platform can be accessed via: www.safeusediisocyanates.eu
- An overview of the training modules related to adhesives and sealants can be found here: www.feica.eu/our-projects/safe-use-diisocyanates
- FEICA offer a voucher code for the training material related to PU adhesives and sealants applications, enabling end-users to access the training free of charge. Information can be found at: www.feica.eu/PUinfo